Skip to main content

The Beginning of 2018

Welcome to La Morenita Nomada, Spanish for The Little Brown Nomad.

This personal blog will be an attempt to describe the year 2018 in my own eyes as I make the effort to learn new things, improve myself, and change for the better. This blog is intended to pour out to you my struggles, my doubts, and my victories as an attempt to encourage others that might be going through the same things that I do, and to motivate you to be a better you. If I can help you not make the same mistakes, then all the better. 

So, a little about myself.

I am a 26 year old Hispanic American who still lives with her loving and wonderful parents. I have some college education - a massage therapist by profession with the aspiration to one day become a holistic nurse. I am married to a sweet and caring man and have been married for 6 months and 17 days at the time of this entry. 

My year 2017 was a year bustling with a lot of blessing and change. I managed to graduate with my second associate degree, got married to a wonderful man on June 26th in a beautiful state in India that Keralites have dubbed as "God's Own Country" (Kerala, India) and underwent some experiences that made me more of an adult. In some ways, my 2017 was satisfying, but in many ways it wasn't. I'm still a mediocre person, and in 2018, I'd like to start moving away from that.

For 2018, I have many goals. It's true that a year is just another year. Nothing really changes. But it still helps to see every new year as if it were a fresh new start. To me, I imagine it being almost like an ex-inmate coming out of prison, with nothing to his name, but with the hope that this time around Life will be different in some way. In the end, the date doesn't matter if we haven't done a thing to change our mindset, or, just to throw it out there, our nous as the ancient Greeks would put it.

Out of all the goals that I have for year 2018, I have three that I'll share with you in this entry. The first one being: to take control over my own life. I want to start living my life the way I see fit. I am an adult woman and it's time I start living like one. 

My second goal for 2018 is: to overcome my insecurities. And in order to do that, I need to begin working on making myself better. I need to do away with the fickleness that I have allowed in my life for too long. As an adult, I want to be consistent and confident in who I am and use what God has given me to make a difference in the life of my family and my community.

My third goal for 2018: to speak my mind without fear. I don't want to be afraid to tell people what I stand for. Currently, the religious and political atmosphere is clouded with so much political correctiveness, that even the tiniest expression of dissent automatically sparks unintended social ostracism. But in the light of my past, and past experiences with a form of social ostracism, whether by choice or by accident, I am no stranger to being a loner. 

A bit like that of a nomad (hence, the title of this blog). 

In summary, I know I have the potential to become a better and stronger me. I know that it isn't impossible, although it will be difficult, as all things worth doing are. But as a human being I have a responsibility to myself, my community, and to God, to be the best that I can be (regardless of social standing; in unity with society or in social ostracism) and to contribute to the building up of humanity. I know that nothing on this blog will be anything new as:

"What has been is what will be,
    and what has been done is what will be done;    there is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9, NRSV

I will simply be sharing my humanity with my fellow human beings. Please join me on another year of struggles, hopes, and dreams, and celebrate with me our victories in this year to come. If you want to share with me your opinion about anything that I've said or have some goals of your own that you'd like to share, please feel free to share them with me!

Until next time,

La Morenita Nomada 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Than Ten-dollars And Spare Change

Today, I learned that giving should be done more freely, not with reservation. We were shopping at Walmart for some mid-week essentials when a man decked out in rubber boots and saggy gym clothes slowly approached us and bashfully asked us for some change. I briefly looked at him and shook my head and said, “I’m sorry, we’re not carrying any cash”. The man timidly winced away from us and in a very soft-spoken manner apologized for bothering us. We continued shopping. But I couldn’t concentrate. There was something in that man’s facial expression that told me he wasn't asking for change for frivolousness. My mother saw my face and said, “I have a dollar… it isn’t much, but it might help”. She had the same thought as I did. Maybe he needed change to be able to complete his shopping list. I didn’t have to walk much to look for him as he was still nearby. As I approached him, I saw him picking at the change he held in his palm and glancing at his almost empty buggy. He gin...

Lost Years To Tears

If you were to ask me what my number one struggle in life is, I would tell you, “Not being content with who I am." All my life I’ve struggled with finding my place and having a secure sense of worth. My high school years were tough, but I wasn’t prepared for the years following my high school graduation. When I graduated from high school, I assumed that I was going to accomplish academically a lot in my 20’s. Throughout high school, I was a decent student. I took a mixture of college prep, honors, and AP classes. In my 12 th grade year I even earned college credit for English 101 and English 102, giving me somewhat of a boost for my first year of college.   But after my first year of college, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to pursue. I realized I needed some more life-experiences to help me decide. So, in the summer of 2010, I took off from school, moved from South Carolina to North Carolina, and joined AmeriCorps SAFE (Serving America’s Farmworkers Everywhere). And for...

On My Prayer Life

Prayer has always been difficult for me as an adult. As a child, I recall having a sense of constant communication with God. But as I grew older, sprouting into my pre-teens and early teenage years, I lost that sense of communion and while I didn’t stop having belief in God, my view of God as my Heavenly Father had been replaced with my personal Cosmic Santa Clause. More recently, I’ve been struggling to return to pursuing that childhood relationship with God through genuine prayer. Truly, a struggle. As a child, I knew prayer as having heart-felt conversations with God. I have memories of me in my early elementary school years talking to God in my mind and out-loud, confident in God’s love for my family and for little me. I recall calling out to God whenever feeling sad or whenever I sensed my parents in a disagreement. I remember praying to God for my family and their needs. I knew God as my Heavenly Father and I recollect that with this relationship came a sense of sweetness...