Skip to main content

Ahira's 12 Commandments - A Draft

I am the type of person that likes to get to know people on a personal level, sometimes for the sole purpose of finding out if they do something that I like enough to emulate. Some people might consider that as lame. Why not be original? My take is that there is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9). Since there is no such thing as original, I might as well find out what works for others and see if it works for me. And for me, there is a certain level of excitement that comes along with exchange of ideas, especially when ideas are of value.  

As of late, I’ve been reading Gretchen Rubin’s “Better than Before” and “The Happiness Project”, books focused on research-based ways to form habits. In her book “The Happiness Project” she lists her own version of the 12 commandments to live by. So, in honor of one my own commandments, Emulate the good in others, I have decided that today I’ll post my own version of my commandments to live by.

1.     Gratitude always.
2.     Never assume.
3.     Put yourself first.
4.     Don’t take yourself too seriously.
5.     Have good reasons as to why.
6.    Just do it.
7.     Don’t forget to be realistic.
8.     Be authentic.
9.     It’s OK to break the “rules”. Sometimes, you gotta jump over the fence with your skirt on because the gate won’t open.
10.  Don’t wait for others to give you permission to LIVE.
11.  Emulate the good in others.
12.  Charity above all things.

I’m not sure if I can say I am satisfied with my 12 commandments, but I think it’s a start. There are a couple that I was inspired to add to my list from Gretchen's own list, like "authenticity" and "just do it". And I had originally listed “Forgive daily” and “Generosity” but decided that those things fall under “Charity above all things”. Later on, I’ll do a short “exposition” on my "commandments" and explain why I chose them for my list of “rules” to go by.

Which of these commandments do you think you would add to your own list of commandments? Are there any that aren't on my list that you've thought of for yourself as you were reading? Feel free to share your thoughts on the comment section below.

Also, please note that I am not affiliated with any of the links provided nor am I compensated if you decide to buy from the websites. I just thought to include them here, for your convenience.

La Morenita Nomada



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than Ten-dollars And Spare Change

Today, I learned that giving should be done more freely, not with reservation. We were shopping at Walmart for some mid-week essentials when a man decked out in rubber boots and saggy gym clothes slowly approached us and bashfully asked us for some change. I briefly looked at him and shook my head and said, “I’m sorry, we’re not carrying any cash”. The man timidly winced away from us and in a very soft-spoken manner apologized for bothering us. We continued shopping. But I couldn’t concentrate. There was something in that man’s facial expression that told me he wasn't asking for change for frivolousness. My mother saw my face and said, “I have a dollar… it isn’t much, but it might help”. She had the same thought as I did. Maybe he needed change to be able to complete his shopping list. I didn’t have to walk much to look for him as he was still nearby. As I approached him, I saw him picking at the change he held in his palm and glancing at his almost empty buggy. He gin...

Lost Years To Tears

If you were to ask me what my number one struggle in life is, I would tell you, “Not being content with who I am." All my life I’ve struggled with finding my place and having a secure sense of worth. My high school years were tough, but I wasn’t prepared for the years following my high school graduation. When I graduated from high school, I assumed that I was going to accomplish academically a lot in my 20’s. Throughout high school, I was a decent student. I took a mixture of college prep, honors, and AP classes. In my 12 th grade year I even earned college credit for English 101 and English 102, giving me somewhat of a boost for my first year of college.   But after my first year of college, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to pursue. I realized I needed some more life-experiences to help me decide. So, in the summer of 2010, I took off from school, moved from South Carolina to North Carolina, and joined AmeriCorps SAFE (Serving America’s Farmworkers Everywhere). And for...

On My Prayer Life

Prayer has always been difficult for me as an adult. As a child, I recall having a sense of constant communication with God. But as I grew older, sprouting into my pre-teens and early teenage years, I lost that sense of communion and while I didn’t stop having belief in God, my view of God as my Heavenly Father had been replaced with my personal Cosmic Santa Clause. More recently, I’ve been struggling to return to pursuing that childhood relationship with God through genuine prayer. Truly, a struggle. As a child, I knew prayer as having heart-felt conversations with God. I have memories of me in my early elementary school years talking to God in my mind and out-loud, confident in God’s love for my family and for little me. I recall calling out to God whenever feeling sad or whenever I sensed my parents in a disagreement. I remember praying to God for my family and their needs. I knew God as my Heavenly Father and I recollect that with this relationship came a sense of sweetness...