Skip to main content

Reflections on Daniel


It is a beautiful thing to be counted among the people of the Most High God. The enemies of the Lord may rise and make war with His people and His Saints. But we have the promise that the Lord will prevail.

Times change, kingdoms and rulers rise, they rule and they fall. In the story of Daniel, we see how, starting with his “career” as an advisor to King Nebuchadnezzar, Daniel serves many kings and their different kingdoms. He went through his life time witnessing many “new” trends and many laws being set, supposedly edicts that could never be changed, but were (unlike God's laws). Interestingly, we can see how powerful men, who served many gods, arose and withered, but David, an exile of Judah who served the Most High God, prevailed.

Daniel served many kings but was the most loyal to the King of Kings. He never lived a life of double-standards. He abstained from the new trends, staying true to his convictions and to his God. His life never depended on the opinions of others; instead, he depended on God alone and trusted solely in God’s ways, even if his loyalty meant severe social isolation, ridicule, and even death.

How many of us as believers are willing to actually set ourselves apart for God? To do so, not because we think we are better than anyone (because we are not), but because we desire to have the kind of faith and virtues that Daniel had as a result of his service to God.

Daniel prevailed while many Kings rose and fell away. In a way, his life shows us how worldly power and fame can only last for some time, but real power and purpose comes through faith and service to God and that is the only power that will prevail. Something else to take note of: David didn't chase power and fame. He didn't chase after trends like the other "wise" men. He chased after God and his life, with all its trails and dangers, was a truly beautiful life, full of purpose and full of God's power in him.

Brothers and sisters, when will we stop being afraid of the opinions of men and start only serving God in all we do? When will we stop chasing the trends thinking that they will be the solution to our problems or the key to power and fame? May we learn from the life of Daniel, a true Saint and example for us all!

God In His Mercy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than Ten-dollars And Spare Change

Today, I learned that giving should be done more freely, not with reservation. We were shopping at Walmart for some mid-week essentials when a man decked out in rubber boots and saggy gym clothes slowly approached us and bashfully asked us for some change. I briefly looked at him and shook my head and said, “I’m sorry, we’re not carrying any cash”. The man timidly winced away from us and in a very soft-spoken manner apologized for bothering us. We continued shopping. But I couldn’t concentrate. There was something in that man’s facial expression that told me he wasn't asking for change for frivolousness. My mother saw my face and said, “I have a dollar… it isn’t much, but it might help”. She had the same thought as I did. Maybe he needed change to be able to complete his shopping list. I didn’t have to walk much to look for him as he was still nearby. As I approached him, I saw him picking at the change he held in his palm and glancing at his almost empty buggy. He gin...

Lost Years To Tears

If you were to ask me what my number one struggle in life is, I would tell you, “Not being content with who I am." All my life I’ve struggled with finding my place and having a secure sense of worth. My high school years were tough, but I wasn’t prepared for the years following my high school graduation. When I graduated from high school, I assumed that I was going to accomplish academically a lot in my 20’s. Throughout high school, I was a decent student. I took a mixture of college prep, honors, and AP classes. In my 12 th grade year I even earned college credit for English 101 and English 102, giving me somewhat of a boost for my first year of college.   But after my first year of college, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to pursue. I realized I needed some more life-experiences to help me decide. So, in the summer of 2010, I took off from school, moved from South Carolina to North Carolina, and joined AmeriCorps SAFE (Serving America’s Farmworkers Everywhere). And for...

On My Prayer Life

Prayer has always been difficult for me as an adult. As a child, I recall having a sense of constant communication with God. But as I grew older, sprouting into my pre-teens and early teenage years, I lost that sense of communion and while I didn’t stop having belief in God, my view of God as my Heavenly Father had been replaced with my personal Cosmic Santa Clause. More recently, I’ve been struggling to return to pursuing that childhood relationship with God through genuine prayer. Truly, a struggle. As a child, I knew prayer as having heart-felt conversations with God. I have memories of me in my early elementary school years talking to God in my mind and out-loud, confident in God’s love for my family and for little me. I recall calling out to God whenever feeling sad or whenever I sensed my parents in a disagreement. I remember praying to God for my family and their needs. I knew God as my Heavenly Father and I recollect that with this relationship came a sense of sweetness...